Thursday, September 18, 2008

1. Academic Blogging

A few weeks ago I was reading up on Moroccan philosopher Alain Badiou who often tried to relate the idea of truth to mathematics. I came across a phrase I liked, saying Badiou had “an original thought with difficulties”. My mind started to wander after I read the sentence, thinking about how laborious it is to actually come up with an original idea, or anything original for that matter. There are 6.7 billion people that inhabit the earth and odds are one of those people is thinking about the same phrase written by Badiou.

As far as me contributing to the world wide web, it doesn’t make me feel as though I’ve done something that extraordinarily spectacular. Many people in the world don’t have a computer, let alone the Internet, so I imagine if they posted a blog for the first time and had the opportunity for people from all over the world to hear their voice, their reaction would be significantly different from mine. Because I grew up with and took advantage of the ability to post my opinion on the Internet, I’ve become desensitized to the significance of the privilege.

In class we discussed Mcluhan’s idea of people’s perceptions being numb and blunt. I don’t want to consider myself indifferent to my surroundings but at the same time I think I should be less emotionless than I currently am. In regards to the chance of being able to have the opportunity to use technology, my lack of enthusiasm makes me seem a bit ungrateful. But I imagine my lack of enthusiasm towards technology blends in with the rest of society's. 

References:

Lechte, John. Fifty Key Contemporary Thinkers. 2nd Edition. New York: Routledge, 2008.

No comments: