Tuesday, September 23, 2008

3. Mass Media

My definition of “mass media” is a type of medium that gets a message across to a large group of people such as television, newspaper, etc. I just looked up the actual definition of mass media, and as it turns out my definition is accurate. The requirements of this blog were to talk about my understanding of mass media but in all honesty, I cannot tell you how I understand it. The reason is because when it comes to mass media, I am not sure whether or not I believe it’s a good thing or bad thing and therefore don’t know what I should understand, besides the definition. So my idea right now is to talk about the pros and cons of mass media and hope by the end of this blog I will have a decisive answer.

I noticed a large majority of our class argued that the idea of mass media doesn’t play a positive role in society. I’m not sure if some of the people are saying that because they truly mean it or because it sounds fairly nonconformist and innovative. I don’t want to say I agree with mass media but at the same time I don’t want to say I disagree with it either. I understand it’s there and I don’t want to think about whether it’s a positive force on earth because I’m not particularly fond of self inducing inner conflicts. Maybe that makes me sound willingly ignorant but I’m willing to accept that.

I think though it is good that a lot of people are able to gain access to the same information, but a lot of the time what mass media offers us is stupid. Advertisements are telling us to be thin and buy Nike; televisions are informing us on Britney Spears’ shaved head; the radio is playing songs about casual sex and heartbreak; the Internet has Youtube, enough said. To a certain extent, I believe mass media is dumbing us down.

When students were presenting their media autobiographies, it was evident that everyone is surrounded by mass media and they’re aware of it. As long as people are aware of the pros and cons of mass media and the effect it has on the population, I think that’s good enough for our generation.

References:

Lane, Beth. "What is Mass Media?." 29 June 2007 28 Sep 2008

No comments: